NYSW will implement the new age matrix starting in the 2016-2017 seasonal year.
Effective January 2017, the grouping of players will change nationwide, with encouraged adoption of best practices in August of 2016. U.S. Soccer has mandated that all United States youth soccer programs go back to calendar birth years to align with international standards and Youth National Team programs.
Using the school calendar for age groups is practiced only in the United States and Canada; as all other FIFA members go by the calendar year.
Previously, age groups were determined based on players born between Aug. 1 and July 31. The change to calendar year age groups will reflect the calendar year, or Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. Players are still allowed to “play up” or play in an older age group.
US Youth Soccer and New York State West Youth Soccer will implement the best practice of calendar year age grouping for player registration beginning with the 2016-2017 soccer year for US Youth Soccer programs and competitions. The new matrix will come into effect beginning August 1, 2016.
Determining Birth Year
US Soccer explains that birth year registration should be calculated based on the year in which the season ENDS. For example, if a season begin in the fall of 2017 and ends in the summer of 2018 (ex: 2017-2018 season), the players would be registered based on their age in the year 2018. Competitions that take place in a single year (ex: fall of 2018 only) should use that year to determine birth year. To simplify determining the age group, just subtract the birth year from the year the season ends.
Year Season Ends - Birth Year = Age Group:
2017-2018 - 2003 = U15
2022-2023 - 2016 = U7
- Beginning Aug. 1, 2016, US Youth Soccer will be using the following birth-year “labels” for competition, based upon the season in which competition ends. For example:
- Players born from August 1, 1997 – December 31, 1998 will be labeled as Under-19/20s.
- Players born from January 1, 1999 – December 31, 1999 will be labeled as Under-18s.
- Players born from January 1, 2000 – December 31, 2000 will be labeled as Under-17s.
- Players born from January 1, 2001 – December 31, 2001 will be labeled as Under-16s.
- Players born from January 1, 2002 – December 31, 2002 will be labeled as Under-15s.
- Players born from January 1, 2003 – December 31, 2003 will be labeled as Under-14s.
- Players born from January 1, 2004 – December 31, 2004 will be labeled as Under-13s.
With the exception of the US Youth Soccer Under-19/20s, the age group “label” will be determined by subtracting the year in which the players participating in the competition were born from the year in which competition ends.